Monthly Lector Schedules and all other forms available at the bottom of this web page.
Are you interested in becoming a Lector?
When the Sacred Scriptures are read in the Church, God himself speaks to his people, and Christ, present in His word, proclaims the Gospel.
The proclamation of the Word of God is truly a service to the Church. Lectors bring the living Word of God to the liturgical assembly. The ministry of the Word should, therefore, be treated seriously and with great dignity.
Proclaiming the Word is a calling from the Holy Spirit. Do you feel the Holy Spirt calling you?
This ministry in the Church requires a person who is of excellent character and serious about the practice of their faith. The lector must believe that Sacred Scripture is the Word of God and have deep respect for God’s presence in that Word.
The Word of God is not merely read during the liturgy. It is proclaimed, yet not with theatrical show. Effective proclamation involves the delivery of the message with clarity, conviction and appropriate pace. It demands the ability to evoke faith in others by demonstrating one’s own faith. Proclamation is a special ministry which presupposes faith. It also rouses faith in those who hear the Word proclaimed.
- Pass fingerprinting and background check as required by the Orlando Dioceses. (Go to “Information on the drop down menu)
- Practicing St. Peter’s Catholic parishioner who is living in communion with the Church.
- Complete a lector information form annually. (Form also used for new lectors -See below)
- Go through logistic training for new Lectors with Coordinator.
- Be able to proclaim the readings in a clear manner that expresses the dignity of the scripture.
- It is expected all lectors dress appropriately and be respectful of the alter at all times.
- Enhance spiritual life by reading the Bible to have a better understanding of the Word.
- Attend an annual lector workshop as well as other information sessions as necessary.
If you have any questions concerning this ministry, please feel free to contact me.